- Why don't you give us an exact location or map of our placement before we arrive?
- What do our placement dimensions mean?
- How should we interpret our approximate address?
- I submitted my placement questionnaire but there have been some major changes to my camp (15 new people joined, we acquired a 30' dome, we can't make it to the playa this year, etc). Should I tell someone in Placement?
- How can we change the description of our theme camp on the Theme Camps & Villages web page?
- Why do you only talk to camp leads?
- How can I be added to the Placement Newsletter distribution list?
- I've emailed you guys three times in the past week with the same question, and you still haven't gotten back to me! What gives?
1. Why don't you give us an exact location or map of our placement before we arrive?
Once we've determined your location, there are still a number of variables that could occur right up until the day your camp arrives on the Playa. We try to accommodate camps as much as possible, and sometimes that means making changes and moving camps around up until the very end.
2. What do our placement dimensions mean?
The first dimension is your camp’s frontage. This is the side of your camp where your primary interactivity should be oriented. The second dimension is your camp’s depth. This is how far back from the frontage your camp extends. Please note, due to the spontaneous and unpredictable nature of conditions in Black Rock City, all dimensions are approximate but should be within 5-10 feet.
3. How should we interpret our approximate address?
The first part of your address is your frontage. The second part helps you figure out what cross street you are close to. Sometimes we will use a :15 or a :45 even when there isn’t such a street to let you know you are near the middle of a block.
If your address is C & 3:45 then the front of your camp will be on C and you are in between 3:30 and 4:00. If your address is 3:00 & C, then you know your frontage is on 3:00 Avenue and your closest cross street is C. This address lets you know you are on or near a corner. Camps with a + in their address are an odd shape (meaning not a square or rectangle).
Camps with frontage on Center Camp Plaza or Rod's Road: your address will include an “@“ symbol rather than an “&”. This is to let you know where on the plaza you are located as if the plaza was an analog time piece with 12:00 pointing towards the man. Your address might be 6:00 plaza @ 3:00. If you stand in the centre of the plaza, face the man and think about where the 3:00 hour hand would point; this is your approximate location.
Please be advised that all addresses are approximate and could change up until you are placed on playa. It is essential you meet with your placers on playa to be shown to your final location. You are not to place yourselves in case your camp has been moved.
4. I submitted my placement questionnaire but there have been some major changes to my camp (15 new people joined, we acquired a 30' dome, we can't make it to the playa this year, etc). Should I tell someone in Placement?
If you have major changes that will affect the size, layout, or overall interactivity plan of your camp, or if your camp no longer plans to participate at Burning Man and needs to cancel, please email Placement ASAP at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include your camp name and sector in the subject line.
For example: [3:00] Your Camp Name - Changes To Our Interactivity
5. How can we change the description of our theme camp on the Theme Camps & Villages web page?
All theme camps and villages who submit questionnaires for placement will have their information added to the Theme Camps & Villages web page on the Burning Man website. If you need to change the description that you submitted on your questionnaire pre-event, email email@example.com with revised text. Please include your camp's name in the subject line, and limit your description to a couple of sentences.
For example: [3:00] Your Camp Name - Changes To Our Description
6. Why do you only talk to camp leads?
Placement interacts with over 1,500 camps each year, and it can be confusing if we are fielding emails from several different people in a camp. It is more efficient if we have a single point of contact.
7. How can I be added to the Placement Newsletter distribution list?
You can radically self-subscribe to our Newsletter here: http://email.burningman.org/h/t/FB8796DCBA7695AC
8. I've emailed you guys three times in the past week with the same question, and you still haven't gotten back to me! What gives?
The placement team is composed of a handful of dedicated, hard-working volunteers who also happen to have other day jobs. We deal with more than 1500 camps during any given year! We do our best to respond to emails in a timely fashion. Please make sure that your camp lead is the only person contacting Placement. Also be sure that your camp name and sector are in the subject line. Sit tight! We will respond as soon as possible.
For example: [3:00] Your Camp Name - The Question You Have