Statement of Intent
What is the Statement of Intent (SOI)?
It is a new form launching in December 2021 for returning theme camps and villages to complete who intend to be placed at Burning Man 2022. The SOI must be completed to receive a Stewards Sale ticket allocation.
Why do returning camps need to fill this out?
This allows Placement to award Stewards Sale ticket allocations based on the needs of the camp for the upcoming year and in the future will allow Placement to inform camps that they will be placed earlier.
When is it due?
In 2022, it is due on Thursday, January 13 at 12pm PT / 3pm ET / 8pm GMT. Future years will see a similar deadline.
What is considered a returning camp?
A returning camp has been placed in BRC within the last 3 years (2017-19) with continuous leadership (including passing on the camp lead by emailing placement to change the lead). If a camp lead has changed with a new lead, you’re still a returning camp. A returning camp can change its theme/name/interactivity as long as what they are offering is equivalent to the last time you were placed.
What is considered a new camp? Why don't new camps complete a SOI?
A new camp to the Placement Team is one that has not been placed in the last 3 iterations of Black Rock City (though they may have existed in open camping). If part of an existing camp chooses to spin-off and create a camp with a new name and interactivity, they would be considered a new camp. The SOI for 2022 is to determine Stewards Sale ticket allocations for returning camps. New camps are not eligible for Stewards Sale tickets through the SOI. (Please see "My camp is new, how do I get tickets" under Stewards Sale Tickets below)
Most of my camp wants to take the year off but we have a solid core interested in returning. Would we be considered returning or new?
Camps that significantly reduce or change their interactivity will be reviewed on a case-by-case basis to determine if they are a returning camp (and can access the camp’s Stewards Sale allocation), or if they are a new camp (and are not eligible for the returning camp’s Stewards Sale tickets. Please provide as much information as possible in the SOI about the changes.
In the past, we could get tickets in the Stewards Sale and not bring our camp. Is that the case this year?
No. Unlike previous years, receiving a Stewards Sale allocation in 2022 assumes that you will bring your camp in the coming year and seek placement.
What if our camp purchases Stewards Sale tickets, and we can’t fill out the Placed Camp Questionnaire or our camp can’t make it to playa?
We know life happens and plans fall through, so please inform Placement as soon as you are aware that you cannot attend the forthcoming event. Unlike previous years, receiving a Stewards Sale allocation assumes that you will wish to be placed in the coming year so we will review each case to determine whether it will affect your camp’s standing. Email email@example.com ASAP to go over the situation.
What if we drastically reduce the interactivity or population we told you about in the SOI when we fill out the Placed Camp Questionnaire?
Things happen and we are understanding. Because the Placed Camp Questionnaire comes later in the event cycle, it gives you an opportunity to update Placement about any changes you foresee. If your camp does plan to provide less, we need to know. Because Stewards Sale tickets are offered based on anticipated interactivity and camp size, any reduction may impact your standing with Placement for future years. Email firstname.lastname@example.org ASAP to go over the situation
I’ve been my own theme camp for years and would like to form a village with other returning theme camps. Do we fill out the SOI as a village?
Each returning theme camp should fill out an SOI as a theme camp to receive their own allocation of Stewards Sale tickets. Any new camps that are joining your village will not be able to fill out an SOI and will not receive Stewards Sale allocations as a returning theme camp.
In the spring, whoever is picked to be the mayor of the village should fill out a Placed Camp Questionnaire (PCQ) for the whole group to be placed as a village. Select “Village” when you fill out that PCQ. Each camp within the village should also fill out a PCQ as a "Camp within a Village," selecting that option in the PCQ. All the camps within the village are expected to have a similar amount of interactivity and population as they communicated in the SOI.
What if one of the camps in my village wants to split off to be a stand-alone theme camp or a new or returning theme camp wants to join my village?
- Returning villages fill out a SOI for their village as a returning village option, including all interactivity expected for any remaining and new camps for the upcoming year within the village. The village mayor must determine how to divide up Stewards Sale tickets among camps within their village. Any new and returning camps that are joining the village should fill out a Placed Camp Questionnaire (PCQ) as a Camp within a Village (CiV), but not an SOI.
- If a camp within a village wishes to split from the village to become a stand-alone theme camp (TC)...
- If a CiV, that has filled out a PCQ for the previous year, is becoming an independent TC, they fill out an SOI as a returning theme camp. Placement will check with the village mayor to determine how many Stewards Sale tickets should be allocated to the TC, and subtract that from the village total.
- If the CiV does not have a PCQ, Placement will check with the mayor about their involvement with the village and capture any information they would need to review the CiV's SOI as a returning TC.
- Stewards Sale allocation to the village will be reduced from the village’s full allocation based on the amount that the TC splitting off of the village will receive. Splitting off TC Stewards Sale allocation will be determined by Placement from what is recommended by the village mayor and TC population.
- Any returning TCs that had their own Stewards Sale allocations previously and are joining the village in 2022 should fill out an SOI as a returning TC and then fill out a PCQ as a CiV. Returning TCs that are joining the village will receive their own Stewards Sale allocation for 2022.
If I complete the SOI, will I be guaranteed placement?
Guaranteed placement is only planned for returning theme camps and villages in 2022. If you choose to take 2022 off, we will carry over that commitment for 2023. For future years, we cannot guarantee placement for all returning theme camps and villages, though an SOI will be required to access a Stewards Sale allocation. All camps seeking placement will still be required to complete a Placed Camp Questionnaire that opens in February.
SOI and Stewards Sale Questions
If I don't complete the SOI and fill out a Placed Camp Questionnaire, will I be eligible for Stewards Sale tickets in 2022?
At this time, we cannot assure any Stewards Sale tickets to returning theme camps and villages beyond the SOI process. If you have an extenuating circumstance, you can always email us at email@example.com to explain it.
Can I expect the same # of Stewards Sale tickets as my most recent allocation?
We plan to fulfill the same or approximately the same number of Stewards Sale tickets that we last committed to each theme camp and village in 2022. If you plan to take 2022 off, we will carry over that commitment to 2023.
Stewards Sale Tickets
If my theme camp does not receive as many Stewards Sale Tickets as I need, what can I do?
Remember that Stewards Sale is not intended to fulfill 100% of your camp's needs. As in all other years, there will be other ticket sales include a main sale where you can acquire tickets. More information will come about these sales in January 2022.
How can I make sure my camp is eligible to buy tickets through the Stewards Sale?
Post-event, all placed theme camps will be reviewed on the Camp Placement Criteria, as well as:
- MOOP score. If a camp receives a red MOOP score, it may affect their access to future Stewards Sales. The Placement team expects the camp to be proactive in addressing the issue in future placement questionnaires.
- Strain on resources. This refers to whether a camp requires extra BRC infrastructure support, which could include undue communication or interactions with Placement, Rangers, DPW, or the playa restoration team. This could also include the processing of negative feedback from other departments and theme camps.
If a theme camp attracts negative attention by violating principles and cultural norms, this will similarly strain resources. If a theme camp meets all of the criteria they remain in “good standing” and may be eligible to receive access to the Stewards Sale. Exemplary camps are the most likely to be invited to the following year’s Stewards Sale. Good standing is of benefit as it will affect future placement. Camps not in good standing will be contacted and will be expected to make substantial changes to their submitted camp plans to qualify for future placement and the Stewards Sale for the following year.
How are Stewards Sale allotment numbers determined?
The Stewards Sale is intended to support the core build crew of BRC theme camps. These are the critical team members required to get the core functions of your camp built so that your camp can come to Burning Man.
Placement has introduced the Statement of Intent in 2022, which changes how Stewards Sale tickets are allocated to returning and new camps. Please go to this Burning Man Journal post to read more about the changes to the Placement Process.
Our camp took a year off, but we used to be in good standing. Are we still eligible for the Stewards Sale next year?
Yes, you are still eligible if you took a year off and did not purchase Stewards Sale tickets allocated to you during that off year.
You will need to contact the Placement team and let them know of your plans and any changes to camp leadership before the Statement of Intent opens in the November that precedes the year you want to return.
My camp is new, how do I get tickets?
New camps should advise their campers to purchase tickets in one of the non-Stewards ticket sales.
Beginning in 2022, a small pool of tickets will be made available to supplement tickets for newly placed camps. To be considered for this pool of tickets, new camps must complete the Placed Camp Questionnaire. If selected for placement, the Placement Team will determine which camps are eligible for tickets and will reach out with further instructions by the end of May. New camps should not solely depend on this opportunity to access tickets. Receiving placement as a new camp does not guarantee access to this pool of tickets, and if granted, only a limited number will be available per camp.